Here is a list for traveling safely in Bear Country!
- Where should I keep my food?
- UDAPmakes bear electric fences for the backcountry including electric fences for food storage and camping. Keep the bears out with BearShock!
- don’t leave pet food or garbage in areas where bears can get to it.
- Place garbage in a heavy duty-duty, tied bag. Put the bag inside a garbage can with a bear-proof lid.
- Beehives attract bears. If you have hives put them up high on hear-proof platforms.
Keep your food and equipment safe In Bear Country!
- How should people visiting bear country behave
Bears are typically afraid and nervous around people. They will avoid humans. Bears may attack people when they feel threatened or surprised or when forced to defend themselves, their cubs, or their food. You should be careful to avoid all bears. Here are some specific tips:
- Make noise, let bears know you’re there.
- Travel in groups. Groups are noisier and there is safety in numbers.
- Keep your dog on a leash at all times.
- Stick to worn paths and trails and hike during the day, not at night.
- Watch for bears for signs of them, including bear tracks and droppings.
- Avoid areas where you spot potential bear food.
- Don’t forget to carry your UDAP BEAR SPRAY!